Our environment

Rain Irrigation

We think it’s good to know where your potatoes come from, and it’s even better to know that they come from an environmentally friendly company. At Albert Bartlett, we’re dedicated to looking after the environment, whether on the farm or at our production sites, and have won awards for this commitment. Please click on the links to view our environmental statement, quality statement and health and safety statement.

Read about green practices on our growers’ farms and at our production sites, our membership of the Scottish Wildlife Trust, and our environmental awards.

On our farms

As a family of farmers, we’re passionate about conserving and nurturing the environment that surrounds us. These are just some of the ways we farmlook after the environment:

  • We like to monitor the activity of all of the insects, as this allows us to minimise the use of any pesticides. After all, potatoes which are naturally grown are naturally tasty
  • We have long 5 – 6 year rotations (gaps in between potato crops) to create healthy, rich soil for future generations
  • Potatoes are kept in storage after harvest. We avoid using chemicals and gas applications to artificially preserve them, except in exceptional crop circumstances.
  • We’re great fans of wildlife, so we encourage the growth of wild flowers, trees and hedges which in turn, protects and encourages birds and wildlife.

At our production sites

At all of our production sites, we carefully monitor our energy consumption and in doing so, reduce our carbon footprint. We use energy efficient management systems to minimise our use of gas, electricity and water. You may also like to know that:

  • Albert Bartlett & Sons Ltd70% of the water used to wash our potatoes is rainwater collected from the roof; the remaining 30% is from our own borehole. We have a water recycling system which further reduces our use of this precious resource.
  • Over 25,000 trees have been planted at our Airdrie site by our team
  • We recycle wood, card, plastic and food waste
  • Our recycled soil is used for agricultural land improvement
  • At our Airdrie production site we’ve invested in Robot technology, which improves safety and efficiency
  • We use an external auditor to make sure we are keeping up to the mark and we are proud to have ISO 14001 accreditation

Scottish Wildlife Trust

Scotland, where we grow most of our potatoes, has some of the most beautiful countryside in the world and is home to various species of wildlife. Scottish Wildlife Trust LogoAt Albert Bartlett, we are proud to be a member of the Scottish Wildlife Trust, the largest charity working exclusively for the protection of all Scotland’s wildlife. It manages over 124 wildlife reserves across Scotland, ranging from Highland estates to urban green spaces. We are proud to support their mission to protect wildlife.

Awards

Here’s just a few of the environmental awards that we’re proud to have picked up,  which underlines our commitment and care for our local landscape:

  • Vision in Business for the Environment Scotland. 2013Print
  • Carbon Trust Standard awarded for our Airdrie site, 2010
  • Vision in Business for the Environment Scotland, 2005
  • The Green Organisation Silver Award, 2005